Unlike my father, I have not dated a Playmate. Truth be told, I’ve never met one.
That changed last week when I interviewed Pamela Horton, better known as Playboy’s Miss October. Wanting to come prepared, I did some research on Pamela, who turns out to be an avid gamer in addition to a total babe. Despite some of my more, uh, forward questions, Pamela willingly answered everything thrown her way. As it turns out, Pamela is incredibly intelligent.
Never judge a book by its cover. Unless, of course, Pamela’s on it.
In that case - buy it immediately.
1. Pamela, you were born in greater Los Angeles, but lived in Wichita, Kansas. I take it there are a few differences in lifestyle between those communities?
Well I was born in Whittier, California, but moved around a lot. I lived in Lancaster, Long Beach and Corktown – which is one of my favourite places in the world. I moved to Wichita when I was twelve which was a huge culture shock! The people in Wichita are nice, genuine people. Not that they aren’t in Los Angeles, but everyone you meet in Kansas has those good old fashioned cowboy manners. They open doors, give up their seat and are just incredibly polite.
2. Sounds like Canadians! Were those ‘cowboys’ as nice to you in high school, chasing you around all day?
I wasn’t being chased because guys were mostly just hanging out with me. I was a bit of an ugly duckling until I graduated from high school. I wasn’t like normal girls. I didn’t do my hair, I didn’t do my makeup, I mean to this day I still don’t. I’m somewhat of a tomboy which is weird because I get all ‘diva-glammed’ up for my centerfold and appearances, but on a daily basis I’m just wearing a t-shirt and jeans.
3. It makes sense to keep it comfortable when you’re such an avid gamer. Despite your passion for gaming, I read that you don’t like first person shooter games. Why not?
For starters I’m not very good at them. I guess one of the main reasons though is that most people play for the competitive online mode and I just couldn’t handle some of the grief people would give you. It wouldn’t even matter if you had said or done anything wrong. All that mattered was, “oh, you’re a girl, that means you’re bad, you should be playing the game, etc”. I just got tired of hearing it all, they are pretty ruthless!
4. Ok, here’s a scenario: someone stops you on the street and challenges you. You can pick any video game on any console ever created, and if you beat the challenger, they will give you $1,000,000. What game are you picking?
Mario Kart for the Wii (no hesitation). I made the World top 20 rankings in the online timed and competitive modes. A lot of people think Rainbow Road is the hardest so they would challenge me in that. (Pamela laughs). That’s my best race.
5. Now I know you’re also really into World of Warcraft and I read somewhere that you are a maximum level herbalist…
Well I got realm first herbalist. When they have a new expansion, the profession skills increase and when they increase that cap, the first person to reach the new cap on your server receives an achievement. I was the first!
6. As a herbalist, you’re probably qualified to speak on the legalization of marijuana in your home state of California.
Well, it’s a natural substance that grows in the ground, but there are people out there who don’t like it being used. To them, I say don’t use it if you don’t like it, but if someone wants to enjoy themselves using something that is very natural let them do it. They aren’t affecting or hurting anyone. There are people that drunk-drive every day; it’s one of the top five causes of death in America, yet that form of (let’s call it) extra-curricular activity is legalized. Marijuana isn’t. I mean I’ve never been like “Yay Marijuana!”, but you know, looking at it realistically, it’s not synthetic or crafted in a lab and hasn’t really done anything negative.
7. You definitely earned that realm first herbalist distinction. We know you’re a gamer, but what about sports? The cover of your issue has you posing in a football helmet. Any favourite teams?
I’m not really big into sports. I don’t really know why I never got into them. I get asked all the time who I cheer for: Kansas or Kansas State. Either way I lose because if I pick one there’s animosity. So I just say neither!
8. What’s your dating life like? Are guys generally intimidated by you, or are you constantly fending them off?
I’m in a long term relationship and have been for four years. I don’t want to sound conceited, but I do get hit on a bit when I go downtown to bars and stuff with my friends. I am usually the designated driver so I get to see these inebriated pickup lines completely sober!
I don’t play favourites. If someone wants to strike up a conversation with me on Twitter or Facebook or talk to me in an online game, I talk to everybody. If there was a real connection I would seek it further. I am NOT attracted to guys who are like, “heyI work out a lot and I’m amazing at this and that”. I’d rather see what’s on the inside. I enjoy very intelligent men so I kind of go for the nerdy/geeky guys!
10. With the success of the adult video industry, do you feel pressured to move away from nude photography and into that arena?
Umm, not really. I don’t feel there’s an incredible amount of pressure on Playmates in that regard. We all use our title to achieve our own goals. One may use it to become an actress. One may use it to become a model. Another may use it to help get into a video game company!
11. Pamela, it’s time for rapid fire questions. Four questions in forty seconds. Are you ready?
12.You were born in Whittier, California. Do you know what Whittier is named after?
13. Approximately what percentage of playmates have fake breasts?
14. Where do you fit in?
Oh, I’m in the 25%! My boobs are real!
15. Who’s the most famous celebrity to hit on you?
Oh, crap. I don’t know, I don’t really get hit on I don’t think.
16. What’s the one place you’d want to pose nude?
Anywhere in Japan near Mount Fuji. It’s beautiful.
17. You’ve been great Pamela. Any message to our readers?
Make sure you pick up my copy of Playboy Magazine! If you feel like chit-chatting with me or following me and seeing what I’m generally up to, follow me on Twitter @PamelaHorton13. If you want to play League of Legends my summoner name is MissOctober2012. I also play World of Warcraft with my fans and my character name is moosecat on Trollbane Hordside.
18. Any significance to the 13 in your Twitter handle?
It’s my lucky number. Friday the 13th is one of the luckiest days of the year for me. I don’t know when I recognized it started happening, but I did get the message to be in Playboy on Friday the 13th!
It seems like a lucky day for all of us.